Saturday, June 26, 2010

Indian Food

Some of our neighbors invited us to a birthday/graduation party.  The mom got her PhD, and their little boy turned one, so they were celebrating.  We don't know much about this family, as we are just getting to know them.  From what we've gathered, they are from India.  Guess we've never asked...for some reason, I feel rude saying, "where are you from?"  like I might make them feel like they don't belong here.  I also guess I've just been waiting for the right time to ask them what their story is and what brought them to Nebraska.  Maybe I should think of rephrasing my question...hence why I haven't asked yet.  I'm really not that great at small talk.  I've always wanted to be one of those people that others can just spill their guts to.  you know, one of those people that asks me a simple question like "how's your day?"  and I end up telling them more than they really wanted to know.  Guess I need to work on listening skills (seems like that's what I've heard) but what do you do when they won't talk...I mean, you can't listen if no one is saying anything....
ANYWAYS...that was off topic.

So, this family invited us to their celebration...we didn't have anything else on our calendar, so decided to go.  The invitation said 7, but they told us to come at 8 because that's the way they work in India.  They said no one would be there at 7...well, none of their Indian friends (which was mostly everyone else except 2 or 3 other families).  Sometimes I like being the minority.  It makes me more aware of what others feel like when they are the minority because I'm so used to being in the majority.  So, Spencer and I didn't leave our house until 7:20.  we dropped some videos back at the store, and then drove around until the clock said 7:45.  we were afraid that the party had actually started at 7 like the invitation said, so we were worried we'd walk in late to the party.  Our neighbor was right, we were one of the first families there...along with the other typical white American families. kinda funny. 

at 9:15 they finally served dinner (they weren't kidding about not starting at 7)  they served Indian food from one of their favorite indian restaurants here in Omaha.  It probably wasn't the first time I've had Indian food...but honestly, I get most ethnic restaurants mixed up according to what kind of food they serve.  I know, maybe it's silly that I can't tell the difference between Indian or Thai or Mediterranean.  but hey, all I can do is learn, right?

Spencer and I loved the food.  And Asher followed all of the kids around laughing they whole time.  We were so excited to try something new, and our neighbors were so sweet to come up and explain what we were having.  They were just as anxious to introduce us to their culture and food as we were to try it.  All in all, we had a good time.  We're thankful that the Lord has opened the door for us in building a relationship with our neighbors. 

No comments: